• White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White YouTube Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

Level 9, 500 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000

Tel: (03) 9663 0555




Please reload

Recent Posts

What drew me back to recruitment

November 19, 2019

Please reload

Featured Posts

Australia Advocacy Update - What you need to know



In December last year, Malcolm Turnbull announced changes to the Federal Ministry with a new line-up that reflects an increased focus on Jobs and Innovation.


Senator Hon. Michaelia Cash will remain the Cabinet representative for the employment portfolio in the new ‘super ministry’ of Jobs and Innovation.  Minister Cash will be supported by Craig Laundy as Minister for Small and Family Business, Workplace and Deregulation and Senator Zed Seselja as Assistant Minister for Science, Jobs and Innovation.


RCSA looks forward to working with the Ministers in their new capacities to help them better understand the challenges and priorities for our members, and to advocate on your behalf to ensure the needs of the sector are reflected in considerations in Canberra.


We have already established a strong working relationship with Minister Cash’s office, which we are confident will continue in her new role.  Minister Laundy comes to the new role from a background in small business and has long been a proponent for business and the workplace in Parliament and the media.  We look forward to introducing him to RCSA early in the new year.




State governments are now moving at pace to establish licensing schemes for the labour hire sector, with South Australia and Queensland setting commencement dates of 1 March and 16 April respectively.   Because of a difference in transition arrangements however (60 days in Queensland vs six months in South Australia) the scheme will effectively come into operation in Queensland ahead of South Australia.  In December, Victoria introduced legislation to establish its own labour hire licensing scheme.


The licensing schemes will impact anyone who supplies a worker to another person to do work in those States that have them in place.


Who will be impacted by State-based licensing schemes?


Anyone who supplies a person to do work within a State that has a licensing scheme in place will need to obtain a licence. It doesn’t matter if your operation is based in a State other than Queensland or South Australia - if you are supplying a worker to perform work in either of those States you will need to apply for a licence from March or April next year.


Do I have to get more than one licence?


Licence arrangements will only apply to the State in which they exist.  You will need to apply for a licence in every State in which you operate that has a licensing scheme in place.  Queensland and South Australia will commence in the first half of 2018.  Victoria has introduced legislation to establish a licensing scheme and the ACT is close to concluding an inquiry into insecure work. This could prompt a recommendation to adopt a similar licensing scheme in ACT.


State governments are working together with the aim of finding a way to mutually recognise key elements of each of their schemes to make it easier for national operators to apply in multiple States.


When will I need to apply?


The South Australian licensing scheme will start fr